Wednesday 19 October 2011

Cushion

Last night I got to work making a cushion cover for Mr Bee as a Christmas present. After umming and aahing over a pattern to use, I loosely followed the wrap around cushion cover from the Liberty Book of Home Sewing.

Months ago, I collected some fat quarters of fabric to keep especially for making things for Louie. After we bought his chair from Ikea, I wanted to make something to spruce it up (I want to make a quilt to match too).

I cut the fabrics into strips, 12 in total, 3.5 inches by 16 inches, then sewed them all together (with a half inch seam allowance) to make one long strip. I turned the outside strips in on themselves (in half) and hemmed.

Then I wrapped the long strip around the cushion and marked the corners. Folding the strip at the marker, right sides facing, I sewed the long sides leaving only 1 cm to allow for the bulk of the cushion. This makes the cover a nice snug fit over the cushion.

Turning the cover the right way round and pressing it, it was finished.




I am very pleased with how it has turned out, the fabrics look lovely together and I haven't done any basic quilting since I was at school!

I hope Louie likes it as much as I do!

I will make some more of these to sell at my next craft fair which is in December.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...