Tuesday 1 November 2011

G-Nappy Review

I have been aware of the 'G-Diaper' for quite some time now, as I believe that it is quite a popular system in the states. However, it has only recently landed in the UK. I did have the opportunity to see them at the UKAware show that I was at earlier in the year, however I didn't take the plunge then.

They were brought to my attention again recently, so I thought that I would get some of the basics so that I could try them for myself. I bought one G-Pant which comes with a waterproof G-Pouch, a pack of 6 G-Cloth inserts and 6 extra G-Pouches.

When my package arrived, I must admit, I was rather excited. I opened the package to a surprise. The G-Pant is just like a jersey cotton, just like normal pants. This is wholly unlike any other reusable nappies that I have come across. Inside the pant is a snapped in G-Pouch, which is the waterproof layer. Then you just lay the insert of your choice (cloth is my choice obviously!) and away you go. I actually really like the G-Cloth insert as it is a hemp/cotton mix, which means that it is a perfect absorbency and it has a fleece top so you don't need to worry about adding a fleecey liner as this will keep your baby dry.

What is rather unsual about the G-Nappy is the rear fastening. Where nappies usually fasten either around the waist or with side snaps, this fastens with velcro at the back. I did worry that it would be slighly fiddley to get it done up, but it is actually a godsend when you have a wriggly toddler. Mr Bee finds it quite fun when I ask him to wriggle one way then the other to fasten it. We also have great success getting the nappy on standing up, which is a bonus when your toddler is running away...! I do wonder whether it would be slighly more difficult to fasten on a smaller baby, but I don't think it would be a problem at all.

After a few trial runs with the G-Nappy at home, I decided to take it for a plunge on our trip to London. It was the main nappy that Nana used all weekend. She is a big fan, especially because the pant is just so soft and comfortable. All weekend we had no leaks using this system. The cloth inserts are very reliable and the G-Pouch is fantastic. I changed one nappy that was very saturated, and the pouch was retaining all of the moisture leaving the pant dry. I was impressed.

As Mr Bee had been poorly all weekend and on medicine, his nappies weren't his usual. I am happy to say that the G-Pouch held in even the most yucky of poos, which with other nappies may have not dealt with so well. All it meant was a quick change of the pouch and the pant was clean and dry.

Whilst I was at the Baby Show I visited the G-Nappy stand to pick up a packet of the disposable inserts. I was also enticed into another G-Pant, a Rugby shirt style one, with red and blue stripes. Lovely!

The disposable inserts are a lovely quality, very similar to the BumGenius ones, and decidedly better all round than the Smart Nappy inserts. What also is very handy about these inserts is that you can rip the outer casing and flush the middle, which is degradable in water. The inserts are also fully compostable.

We tested the G-Pant and the G-Pouch with other cloth inserts such as the Flip Stay Dry and Weehugger inserts and got on really well. The M/L pouch fits both inserts in just fine, which means that they will work well even if your stash is made up of other nappies already.

Overall I am really impressed with this nappy, I think it looks pretty trim and is really easy to use. It definately cuts down washing thanks to the G-Pouch, which is more effective than other two part nappies. My only misgiving for the G-Nappy is that it is a sized option, which inevitably means that it will work out more expensive in the long run. Mr Bee is currently in the Large option, although he is only at the bottom of the weight advisories and I know it will fit him better when he is a bit bigger, but this doesn't affect the usefulness of the nappy whatsoever.
The G-Nappies are available in such a wide range of beautiful colours and every now and then, some beautiful limited prints. I am so happy with my lovely little g-nappies, they are perfect for us.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...