Wednesday 2 March 2011

Fairtrade Fortnight


This week is the second week of Fairtrade Fortnight. Fairtrade has always been something I have strived to buy. It is something that the Catholic church really backs and I think CAFOD has a lot to do with, hence how I must have been brainwashed as a child!
Buying Fairtrade means that the poorest people in the chain actually get a decent wage, an honest wage that means that they will be able to provide for their family. I hate that the big corporate companies take such a gigantic cut from sales, it shouldn't be allowed!
In Leicester, we are VERY lucky to have the Just...Fairtrade shop in St Martins Square. If you haven't been, you really should go. They sell everything from beautiful gifts to cupboard essentials, and they ensure that everyone gets a fair cut. And you would be surprised, you might even get yourself a bargain there. Most people have the misconception that fairtrade is more expensive, when often it is not.

So what have I done to switch to fairtrade?
I was actually really stunned at how much fairtrade stuff I actually have. I will only buy fairtrade coffee, and any birthday cards or trinketey presents I try to buy from the fairtrade shop. Yesterday I bought some organic cotton fairtrade face cloths from John Lewis for £1.25 - bargain!
WOMbat is a fantastic online retailer of fairtrade clothes, which is gradually filling up with more ethically produced items. We have beautiful fairtrade toys from Babipur, made by Little Hathi, which are just gorgeous. I have given a few as gifts and everyone loves them! My list really could go on and on. And I really think it is something to be proud of.

At the beginning of the year, I promised to carry on my green crusade, which I have, but hadn't outlined anything specific. Fairtrade fortnight has inspired me to have a 2011 year of fairtrade. It will be my 'thing' to focus on for the year. As well as my handmade pledge.

I seem to have created quite a following on this blog, which is flattering, honestly! Seeing as I started it for myself, not really thinking anyone would even bother to look at it. Just a record for me to look back on. But if each one of you switched one thing to fairtrade for good, it would be a great help to someone who needs it.

1 comment:

Anna said...

This is probably right upu your street :)
http://www.nomadsclothing.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...