Friday 25 February 2011

Waldorf/Steiner inspired play

We have been attending a local Steiner play group on a Friday morning and we have been trying to bring some of the aspects into our home.
Months ago, you may have read about the treasure basket that I created for Louie out of natural 'untoys'. Basically, I have been expanding that, adding new treasures and finding other more natural things for Louie to play with.
This afternoon, I have had a clear out of some of Louie's toys. A clear out and he is only 13 months old! He has so many toys, 80% of which are plastic, that have been given to him. So I have been selective and some that are just plastic toys which aren't educational are moving upstairs. Within 5 minutes of doing this, Louie was playing with his other toys much more contently, and conscientiously than before. I really think there was too much clutter there.  
Myriad has become my new favourite website, looking through all their beautiful toys and books. I recently placed my first order for some things for our seasons table.
On our season table, we have a baby chick and lamb wooden figures to signify that spring brings new life. We have a wooden egg to remind us of the gifts that we receive at easter. And importantly we have the candle in the centre of the table. I intend to add to the table, depending on the seasons, but we have started it now in preparation for when Louie is old enough to understand all about it. We also have books about the spring and easter to read. I intend to keep fresh flowers on the table too, haven't had a chance to get any yet.

The beginnings of our spring table.
Dolly, the waldorf doll




Our new toy baskets

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...